Transferring my tenancy

In certain circumstances, it may be possible for you to pass your tenancy onto someone else, or for someone else to pass their tenancy onto you. However, there are only set occasions where this can happen. They are:

An assignment.

If you are a secure tenant of Melton Borough Council you may be able to transfer your tenancy to your partner or a family member if they are over the age of 18 and have been living with you for at least 12 months.

You will need our consent and all parties must agree to the assignment for it to go ahead. You can only have one assignment of a tenancy.

A Succession

In the unfortunate situation where a tenant dies, that the tenancy can be legally passed to a spouse or civil partner. Or in some cases another family member. This is called a “succession”.

You can only have one succession to a tenancy. If you are a joint tenant and the other tenant has passed away, the tenancy will automatically transfer to you by right of survivorship. This means that there can be no more successions.

If you are not the spouse of civil partner, and you have succeeded to the tenancy of a property that is larger than you require, we will support you to find a more suitable home.

If you are living in one of our council homes and the tenant has passed away, please contact us right away so we can offer you help and support. Please sent us a copy of the death certificate. Once we have received a copy of the certificate, we will make a decision about the succession within 28 days.

Last updated 9 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.