Do I need planning permission?

You may need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change to an existing building, for example an extension
  • change the use of a building  

There is a wide range of helpful information available on the Planning Portal website about planning permissions and restrictions.

There are many kinds of alterations and additions to houses that do not need planning permission - this is called permitted development. You can use the interactive house on the Planning Portal website to see if this applies to you.

If you are still unsure you can contact us using the Householder enquiry form.

Whether you require planning permission relies on a number of factors:

  • The size and position of the alterations
  • The size of your house
  • Whether the house is terraced, semi-detached or detached
  • Whether you live in a Conservation Area
  • Whether there are special planning controls in your area
  • Whether the house has been extended before
  • Whether you have outbuildings in the garden
  • The proximity of your curtilage boundaries to the extension

Each individual circumstance is different so we recommend that you get advice from us that takes your specific location and circumstances into consideration.

Equestrian uses and buildings

The erection of stables and the creation of maneges require planning permission, even the keeping of horses may constitute a change of use in the land and require permission, as the planning system does not classify equestrian activities and facilities as an agricultural use.

Agricultural buildings

You should contact our planning team and seek advice before starting any development work on an agricultural building.

There are three routes to completing work on an agricultural building:

  • some works can be completed without planning permission due to exemptions 
  • some works can be authorised using a 'prior notification' system
  • some works need to go through the full planning application process

Melton Borough Council will advise on the need for planning permission for the erection or conversion of agricultural buildings and offer design guidance. Grants may be available for the re-use of redundant farm buildings for new uses. For more information please contact us.


The current cost of a permitted development enquiry is £32.40.
Payment will be taken once the form has been submitted.

For all enquiries we aim to make initial contact within 10 working days of receiving a valid enquiry. 

Last updated 28 October 2022
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.
Feedback button