Ending my tenancy

Deciding whether to end your tenancy is a big decision. If you’re thinking about ending your tenancy because you feel you have no other choice, please speak with us so that we can offer you advice and support that might allow you to keep your home.

Before ending your tenancy there are some things you should know.

Giving notice

Before you move out of your home you will need to give us at least four weeks’ notice. This notice needs to be in writing, and you can either download and complete a termination form. (can we add this?)

In the notice you will need to include:

  • The date
  • Your address
  • The date on which you would like the tenancy to end, this must be a Monday at least four weeks after your notice
  • Your new forwarding address to send any correspondence too
  • Your signature.

How to give notice


You can post the notice to:

Melton Borough Council
Parkside, Station Approach
Burton Street
Melton Mowbray
Leics, LE13 1GH


You can email your notice to us by using our contact us form or send it to Tenancyservices@melton.gov.uk

Who else to inform 

You also need to make sure you let anyone who lives with you of the date they need to leave on if not before. This would include joint tenants, family members, friends or lodgers. If they are concerned about there future living arrangement they can apply for a council house.

Before you move out

We will arrange to inspect your home to advise you on any works you need to completed to avoid any recharges. Please make sure you leave your home, empty, clean and tidy and the gardens maintained. You will also need to make sure your rent is paid in full up to the date your tenancy ends.

If you have any gas appliances like a gas cooker, you should get a qualified engineer to remove them safely and you should also use a qualified electrician to remove any hardwired appliances.

Returning your keys

You need to return the keys by 12pm on the Monday when your tenancy ends. If you return the keys after this time we will be charged an additional weeks rent.

Please return the keys to the address above by putting them in an envelope and posting them through the letterbox or handing them to our Customer Services Team on reception. Please clearly make your address on the envelope and let us know if handing in to reception ask for a receipt for your keys.

Charges after you leave your home

It is important that you make sure all your accounts are paid up to date before you move out. If your struggling or having financial difficulties we may be able to agree for you to pay the debt in instalments.

We hope that our tenants will leave their home in god condition, but where this does not happen we will have no option but to recharge you for any costs incurred in returning the property to the condition it was let to you. For example you could be charged for:

  • Damage to the property, except for expected wear and tear.
  • The removal and disposal of unwanted items such as carpets, aminate flooring or items left in sheds, lofts, outhouses and gardens.
  • Bringing your garden back to a manageable state should it have been neglected.
  • Missing fixtures and fittings.
  • Deep cleaning your property if necessary
  • Nor returning your keys on time, including where keys have not been returned for sheds, outhouses, meter cupboards and windows.

Death of a tenant

If you’re a relative or have lasting power of attorney for a tenant who lived alone and has died, please complete and return a termination of tenancy form on their behalf.

We will need to know details of their next of kin (closest relative), your address or the address of the person dealing with the tenant’s affairs, and the date the keys will be returned to us. We will also need a copy of the death certificate.

We understand that the death of a relative can be a difficult time and we will support you to get their housing affairs in order.

Who else should you let know you are moving?

When you have given notice that you are leaving your home there are also other people you will need to tell. These may include:

  • Booking a removal van
  • Updating your details for Council Tax and any benefits you might receive.
  • Ask Royal Mail to redirect you post to your new address.
  • Arranging for your telephone, satellite or broadband services to be disconnected or transferred to your new home.
  • Take meter readings and update your energy suppliers before you leave.
Last updated 9 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.