Keeping a pet

We recognise that pets can be a big part of the family. We also know that animals can bring great comfort to our customers and help with their well-being. We will allow you to keep a pet in your home.

In flats, this is restricted to a small/medium sized dog or one cat, unless as stated otherwise.

Under no circumstances will permission be given to breed or offer any animal(s) for sale from a council property.

If outside accommodation for a pet is required, other than a hutch or pen for small animals, written permission must be obtained before it is built. Any application must include plans of the proposed construction and detail the animal(s) to be kept.


We have a small number of flats where it is not appropriate to have a cat or a dog, and we will ensure this is clarified in our adverts and during our pre tenancy assessment.

Prohibited pets

Dogs listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and any animals listed in the Schedule of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 will not be given permission to live in one of our homes, with no exceptions. This is to protect the health and safety of any customers and Council employees who may encounter them.

If we are made aware of any customer that keeps any pets as described above, we will treat this as a breach of tenancy and commence legal proceedings to obtain possession of the home.

Assistance Dogs 

Assistance dogs, such as guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf or dogs for the disabled, will always be permitted. The Equality Act 2010 prohibits anyone renting or selling a property from discriminating against a disabled person; this includes discriminating against a person with an assistance dog.

Pet Welfare

You are responsible for the health and welfare of your pets. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, this is called a duty of care. This requires proper day to day management and care of the pet.

If you have any questions about the care of their pets, you should contact your vet or a suitable accredited animal welfare organisation. Routine healthcare must include regular control of parasites (fleas and worms), vaccinations and neutering where appropriate.

Should we become aware that a pet is not being given due duty of care, we will take steps to inform the relevant professional organisation, such as the RSPCA, and may consider prohibiting the keeping of the pet or any future pets in the home.

Intensive Housing Management Properties

If you live in one of our Intensive Housing Management properties, such as our older persons housing or our care and support properties, you need to request permission to have a pet from the Senior Housing Officer.

Each request will be considered on its own merits and you will be informed of the decision. 

Last updated 5 March 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.