Melton Borough Council

Find out if you need planning permission or building regulations

Find out if you need planning permission

Householder enquiry form

Please note that there is a fee for householder enquiries (i.e. do I need planning permission?) and pre application advice. The scale of fees can be found by accessing the link Pre Application Advice Charges April 2017.

Payment can be made via the Council's payment page once you have completed your enquiry by completing the online form.

You may need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change to an existing building, for example an extension
  • change the use of a building  

The rules that govern whether planning permission is needed are quite complex. There is an extremely helpful interactive guide within the pages of the Planning Portal website that provides guidance on the permitted development limits for residential property.

There are many kinds of alterations and additions to houses that do not need planning permission - this is called permitted development.  Use the interactive house on the Planning Portal website to see if you think this applies to you.

Whether you require planning permission relies on a number of factors:

  • The size and position of the alterations
  • The size of your house
  • Whether the house is terraced, semi-detached or detached
  • Whether you live in a Conservation Area
  • Whether there are special planning controls in your area
  • Whether the house has been extended before
  • Whether you have outbuildings in the garden
  • The proximity of your curtilage boundaries to the extension

Each individual circumstance is different so we strongly recommend that you get advice from us that takes your specific location and circumstances into consideration. The best way to do this is by using the online householder enquiry form (alternatively, you can fill in the downloadable householder enquiry form). We aim to respond to these requests within 10 working days of receipt of the form and payment.

Further information on permitted development rights is available.

Before you apply for planning permission, please read our Privacy Doucment