Information on Coronavirus

Apply for an animal boarding licence

Please note that following updated guidance from DEFRA, businesses that look after dogs in a home environment will now be licensed under 'home boarding' and not 'providing day care for dogs'.

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 stipulate that “providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs” is a licensable activity by the definition below:

“Providing or arranging for the provision of accommodation for other people’s cats or dogs in the course of a business on any premises where the provision of that accommodation is a purpose of the business by:

  • providing boarding for cats
  • providing boarding in kennels for dogs
  • providing home boarding for dogs
  • providing day care for dogs"

Exemptions are listed in the regulations.

If you arrange for the provision of accommodation of dogs, an arrangers licence will be required.

Licence conditions

Each licence is subject to a set of mandatory general conditions and a set of mandatory specific conditions which are listed in the regulations and Defra guidance.

Star rating and licence length

Premises can be awarded 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars.

Licences can be granted for one, two or three years.

The length of licence issued and the number of stars awarded will be dependent on the outcome of a risk assessment and also the number of additional required higher standards and optional higher standards that are met. This will be assessed during an inspection by Melton Borough Council’s appointed Officer.

The licence specific; required higher standards; and optional higher standards; are listed in the Defra guidance documents.

Current fees

For a list of charges, please see our Animal licensing fees page.

Pre-application advice

We understand that you may be unsure whether your business/activities fall within the scope of the new regulations and as such we are offering a pre-application service. 

If this is something you would like to access then please complete and return the questionnaire in as much detail as possible so we may determine whether an application is required in your personal circumstances and what the next steps for you would be.

How to apply

Applications can be made using the form in the download panel.

When submitting this form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Licensing Privacy Notice.

You will need to ensure you have the necessary authorisation under the Planning Acts to operate your business. Please contact the Development Control Team by emailing You can also find further advice by visiting our pages on planning permissions. You can also seek advice from Environmental Health.

Additional information

Dog Walkers - Professional dog walking is not a licensable activity and accordingly we keep no records of people wishing to do this, nor do we have any enforcement powers in this respect.  Members of the public wishing to use the services of dog walkers are encouraged to check they have suitable public liability insurance and background checks.

If you require any assistance then please email 

Last updated 14 October 2021
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button